Attention:

Some information about books may contain adult content. Even though we also publish Young Adult titles, parents of minors are cautioned.

Our new releases

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

An excerpt from the new book, Mayan Prophecy Fulfilled

Keisha and Yuri from Prophecy of the Undead, are still trying to convince vampires all across the world that they should not want to help "dumb-down" the human population in anticipation of the Mayan alien "gods" returning to the planet to get more humans to take back with them to their planet. Their friends return to tell them that a Chinese female researcher, Niu (Ne-ow) Ying, has been assigned to create the opposite of what Keisha discovered.

Blurb:
As a gifted child she was given to the state by her Chinese parents, leading to a harsh life.  Her un-dead existence has been worse.  When other vampires urge her not to further the destruction of humans, they bring a blue-skinned alien Visitor. She never expected to discover her own humanity in the arms of an alien; he never expected to fall in love.  Can their passion bridge the gap between their races?  And can they join forces to face the return of the Mayan aliens and save humanity?  

Set-up: Keisha and Yuri travel to China to try to convince Niu Ying not to proceed.  They are joined by a tall, blue, furry alien who tells them he has "visited" Earth many times before, but is distressed to find that humanity hasn't made it out into space travel yet, despite the early successes of the 1960s.  He goes with them to confront Niu Ying in her lab.  Keisha gets an idea of how to convince Ying, and Yuri goes with her into the lab, leaving Ying alone with the alien.

Excerpt:

    Ying watched them walk into her lab and then turned to regard
Frank with curiosity.
   “So, now we have a chance to get to know each other a little
bit better, eh?” Frank spoke in a friendly, soothing manner as
he moved to sit in the chair just vacated. “I already know your
name…you can call me Frank.”
   Ying stared at him. “Why should I want to get to know you?
What do you have to offer to me that might be useful?”
   Frank smiled. “Is that how you regard others? Separating them
into useful and not-useful? What a cold way to live.”
   Ying’s eyes flashed with anger. “What gives you the right to
judge me?”
   “I might be one of your ancestors. I have visited your planet for
many years, contributing bits of my DNA to your species, trying
to nudge along your inherent curiosity and intelligence. Beings
such as Keisha and yourself are proof that I have had a positive
effect on your people. You should treat me with the respect due
to an elder.”
   Ying sneered. “Elder? I am close to a hundred years old. I
have met others of my kind who were thousands of years old and
I didn’t respect them or treat them any differently.”
   “It must be hard to make friends when you have such a superiority
complex,” Frank responded casually.
   “Friends? I have no need for friends. I told you the only family
I had disposed of me. I have no need for connections to any of the
inferior beings I’m forced to share this planet with.”
   “I have enjoyed my connections, though they were fleeting,
with your people each time I have visited your planet. I have
learned much also from the depth of compassion and altruism
some achieve, and from the joie de vivre that others are so eager
to share with others. I don’t see how you can be so dismissive
when you are of this place.”
   “I don’t see how you can be so soft-hearted towards beings
who are so obviously inferior to you. If you are capable of space
travel, then you have intelligence and abilities beyond even my capacity. 

If you chose to do so you could enslave this entire planet.
You have that ability, don’t you?”
   Frank nodded. “Yes, but to what end? Making slaves of a species
means you are ultimately responsible for them. I don’t want
to have to make choices for any of the species I take an interest
in. I only want to encourage their potential along so that someday
they might meet me in space as equals.”
   Ying shook her head derisively. “Foolish alien. So much power
and you waste it by being compassionate towards your inferiors.”
   Frank regarded her gravely and intently, finally making Ying
squirm in her chair, anxious from his steady scrutiny.
   Frank shook his head. “Foolish human. So much intelligence
and you waste it by being dismissive of your fellow beings.”
   Ying snarled an instant before she sprang towards him. By the
time she reached where Frank had been, there was only air and
empty space for her to grasp.
   “That won’t work with me,” Frank said casually from behind
Ying.
   She whirled around quickly and reached for him. He disappeared
again and re-appeared just beyond her reach.
   “Exactly what are you trying to do?” Frank asked curiously.
   Ying spoke through clenched teeth. “No one calls me foolish!
No one speaks to me like that! You need to learn some manners.”
   Frank smiled. “And you are the one to teach me, eh, little one?
How? With your pointy teeth?”
   Ying growled at him.
   Frank sighed, then sat down again.
   “Fine. Teach me some manners, in your own way.” He extended
his arm towards her.
   Ying sprang forward and sunk her fangs into his arm. She
pulled hard, sucking the blood into her mouth as she was overwhelmed
at the cacophony of memories in his mind. After only
a few minutes, he pushed at her forehead and she fell backwards
with a cry of pain. She grabbed for the small garbage can and violently
retched, emptying all that she drank from the alien.
   When she was finally done, she rested her forehead on the side
of the can, taking deep breaths in an attempt to recover.
   “I could have told you my blood is not iron-based but you
wouldn’t have believed me, would you? Manganese is poisonous
to most living beings—it’s what my blood is based on. Be glad I
didn’t let you continue to drink until you drained enough of my
blood to kill you. May I add, that is your first lesson in humility.
You may be one of the most intelligent and powerful humans on
this planet but you are still a lesser species to many others in the
universe. Not all are as lenient as I am towards tiny ephemeral
specks with delusions of grandeur.”
   Ying continued taking deep breaths for a few more minutes
before she rose unsteadily. She staggered to the other chair and
fell back onto it, facing Frank—who waited expectantly for her to
speak.
   Ying’s face was haggard and her eyes were dull as she spoke
quietly, yet with resentment in her voice. “Did you really have to
put me through that?”
   “Yes. You need to learn to treat others with respect, not derision.
I admire your intelligence but you don’t have any of my favorite
parts of the females of your species.”
   “Should I guess what those parts are? You appear male so it’s
possible you have an appendage that can be used to take pleasure
in sex. I suppose with the entire world half composed of females,
you have had many an enjoyable interlude with women from
many time periods.”
   “You wound me by making it sound so dirty. Yes, I have enjoyed
having sex with human females but the parts I like and admire
the most are their emotions: specifically love, compassion,
and their desire to nurture. You think and act like a man, and I
don’t mean that as a compliment.”
   Wearily Ying nodded. “I have worked very hard at achieving
just that. You have no idea how frightening it was to be powerless
and alone as a young female. Once I realized others can’t hurt me
if I don’t have any emotions to hurt, things became more manageable.
Once I was turned into a vampire, I no longer had to fear any
mortal man. Most vampire men leave me alone because my superior
attitude offends them. That’s just the way I like it.”
   “Don’t you ever wish for companionship?”
   Ying shrugged. “If I do, I just feed from a mortal and lurk
among his memories for a while. Usually his contempt for females
enrages me and I end killing many I feed from.”
   “Why not feed from females?”
   “They are born into a world that treats them as lesser beings.
I know this intimately. So, I give them a pass and feed from those
who would hurt me if given the opportunity.”
   Frank shook his head slowly. “I thought I was lonely. You are
lonely living on an entire planet filled with those you could interact
with, yet you choose not to.”


Find out more about my books at: www.fionamcgier.com, where the first page is my blog.
Leave a short review of Prophecy of the Undead in the comments section for a chance to win an eBook of the sequel, Mayan Prophecy Fulfilled.

No comments: